Installing signing key: rpm --import of repomd.xml.key file doesn't work
Foster, Susan B
2011-02-08 23:32:08 UTC
I am following the instructions for the MeeGo SDK on Fedora 13 and hit a snag with installing the signing key.

The web page is http://wiki.meego.com/SDK/Docs/1.1/Getting_started_with_the_MeeGo_SDK_for_Linux#Install_the_signing_key

I had to specify the httpproxy and httpport (not sure why - I have the same values set at http_proxy - but if I left them off I got "could not connect to host").

When I do
$ sudo rpm --httpproxy <myproxy> --httpport<myport> --import http://repo.meego.com/MeeGo/sdk/host/repos/fedora/13/repodata/repomd.xml.key I get the following error:

error: repomd.xml.key: import failed.

When I did a wget and got the file locally and did an rpm import I got the same error.
$ sudo rpm --import repomd.xml.key
error: repomd.xml.key: import failed.

What is wrong?
Gabriel M. Beddingfield
2011-02-09 01:28:54 UTC
Post by Foster, Susan B
When I did a wget and got the file locally and did an
rpm import I got the same error. $ sudo rpm --import
repomd.xml.key
error: repomd.xml.key: import failed.
Is repomd.xml.key corrupt? What do the contents of repomd.xml.key look like? It should be an ASCII text public
key block, and:

$ gpg --import --dry-run repomd.xml.key
gpg: key 79FC1F8A: "Moblin Build (Moblin Build User) <build-yjP1M5Poggwdnm+***@public.gmane.org>" not changed
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg: unchanged: 1

(Note that it says "not changed" because it's already in my keyring. The point is that it validates the file.)

If the file is corrupt, you'll get:

gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.
gpg: Total number processed: 0

-gabriel
Foster, Susan B
2011-02-10 18:05:30 UTC
Post by Gabriel M. Beddingfield
Is repomd.xml.key corrupt? What do the contents of repomd.xml.key look like? It should be an ASCII text public
$ gpg --import --dry-run repomd.xml.key
The repomd.xml.key is not corrupt - it is ASCII text. The problem is that the instructions on the website say to use

$sudo rpm --import

NOT
$ gpg --import

Is rpm --import supposed to work? Or are the instructions incorrect? BTW, I did a gpg --import and that worked just fine.

Susan.
Gabriel M. Beddingfield
2011-02-10 19:25:02 UTC
Post by Foster, Susan B
Post by Gabriel M. Beddingfield
Is repomd.xml.key corrupt? What do the contents of repomd.xml.key look like? It should be an ASCII text public
$ gpg --import --dry-run repomd.xml.key
The repomd.xml.key is not corrupt - it is ASCII text. The problem is that the instructions on the website say to use
$sudo rpm --import
NOT
$ gpg --import
Is rpm --import supposed to work? Or are the instructions incorrect? BTW, I did a gpg --import and that worked just fine.
Yes, `rpm --import` is supposed to work. Using `gpg
--import` will *not* make the key avail. to rpm (AFAIK).
Using gpg was just a way to verify that the file you
downloaded was not corrupt.

What keys does your rpm currently have installed?

$ rpm -qa gpg-pub*

-gabriel
Radu
2011-03-02 12:30:30 UTC
Post by Gabriel M. Beddingfield
Post by Gabriel M. Beddingfield
Is repomd.xml.key corrupt? What do the contents of repomd.xml.key look like?
It should be an ASCII text
Post by Gabriel M. Beddingfield
public
Post by Gabriel M. Beddingfield
$ gpg --import --dry-run repomd.xml.key
The repomd.xml.key is not corrupt - it is ASCII text. The problem is that the
instructions on the website say
Post by Gabriel M. Beddingfield
to use
$sudo rpm --import
NOT
$ gpg --import
Is rpm --import supposed to work? Or are the instructions incorrect? BTW, I
did a gpg --import and that
Post by Gabriel M. Beddingfield
worked just fine.
Susan.
Did you import another repomd.xml.key file previously?
Try 'rpm -qa' and 'rmp -e gpg-pubkey-...' to remove the one you imported before.
'rmp --import...' with your new key should work.